Art Bell Died From Accidental Prescription Overdose. Aug 2, 2018 Art Bell's April 13 death was the result of an accidental overdose of prescription drugs, authorities in Nevada said Wednesday, according to the Associated Press. An autopsy showed the former "Coast to Coast AM" talk show host died from "multiple drug intoxication from his own lawfully prescribed prescriptions," Nye County Sheriff Sharon Wehrly's office said in a brief Facebook announcement. The medical examination showed Bell had the painkillers oxycodone and hydrocodone, the sedative diazepam and the muscle-relaxant carisoprodol in his system, according to Clark County Coroner John Fudenberg. Other significant factors in Bell's death were high blood pressure and the lung disease chronic obstructive pulmonary disorder, Fudenberg said, per the AP story. The coroner found no evidence of foul play in Bell's death, which took place at his Nevada home. "Coast to Coast AM" with Art Bell was syndicated by Premiere Radio Networks, and at its peak in popularity, aired on more than 500 radio stations with 15 million listeners. He hosted the show off and on from 1988-2010, retiring four times before officially passing the baton to current host George Noory. After leaving Premiere, Bell was heard for a short time on SiriusXM. In 2015, Bell signed off for good, citing a similar theme that caused his earlier retirements – unspecified threats to himself and his family. At the time he was hosting another late-night paranormal program, "Midnight in the Desert," which was started as an online show that was eventually syndicated to approximately 20 radio stations. Bell's studios were located in his home in the town of Pahrump, located in Nye County, Nevada; hence the voice-over catchphrase, "from the Kingdom of Nye."